Personal & Professional Websites
20 March 2020
First impressions are everything. You can miss out on a lot of professional opportunities if you’re not cultivating a solid and cohesive online presence. A great personal website is one of your most effective tools for marketing yourself or your business. It’s important to choose the right color scheme, pick perfect portfolio pieces, and write good copy that will give your website personality.
When applying for a job, you’ll probably be asked to submit a resume, a cover letter, or your LinkedIn profile.
Your personal websites could serve as a calling card, contact point, or a representation of you. Anyone can learn more about you on a personal website.
Stand out from your competition by building a personal website. A personal website can be customised and updated.
Personal websites usually fit into one of the following categories.
Types of Personal Websites
Personal Resume Websites - a web resume is a personalised option for sharing information and demonstrating your technological skills.
Tips for Resume Websites:
- Have a well coded website that can be crawled by search engines.
- Provide a link to download your resume as a PDF
- Keep branding consistent by using similar fonts, colors, and images
- Be creative. Be authentic.
Personal Portfolios - an online portfolio is a highly useful personal branding and marketing tool for photographers, graphic designers, illustrators, writers, and content marketers.
Tips for Portfolio Websites
- Keep the design of your portfolio simple & let images capture visitors' attention.
- Brand yourself. Make your information easily identifiable.
- Use logos & other branding to become more eye-catching for your visitors.
- Be yourself. Your personality, style, and sense of humor could be what makes you stand out!
- Provide easy navigation for visitors to make their way around your website.
- Provide a contact page.
Personal Blogs - a great way to attract attention on social media and search engines. A blog gives your work personality & chronicles your experiences. Adding a blog to your site provides useful content for your audience.
Tips for Blogs:
- Avoid additional distractions on the page beyond your blog posts.
- Publish often. 4 blogs a week generates more traffic than 1 bog a week.
- Add context to your blog by including visuals.
Personal Demo Websites - a vehicle to promote yourself and your skills, while showing hiring managers why they should work with you.
Tips for Demo Websites:
- Be consistent with your branding.
- Avoid additional distractions on the page beyond your demos.
- Highlight your skills, qualifications, and attributes.
Suggested Blog Components
- Your Bio
- Include a short bio of who you are as a professional.
- Focus on highlighting your professional persona, but remember to humanize yourself too.
- Add a couple of hobbies
- Include details of your education and your work expertise
- Cover all aspects of your education, qualifications, and expertise.
- Ensure that your blog is engaging and would make people want to interact with you.
- Include a link to upload your resume here, just in case someone stumbles upon it without having received your resume.
- Examples of Your Work
- Use it as an online portfolio.
- Don’t include every piece of work you’ve ever done. Instead include samples of your best work.
- Don’t just include your examples, quantify your results.
- A Blog
- Dedicate your website to your professional blog.
- Never include a blog which you haven’t updated in ages.Update your blog a couple of times a month at least.
- Testimonials add credibility and value to who you are as a professional.
- Add direct quotes from your LinkedIn testimonials.
- On LinkedIn connect with people you’ve worked with and ask them to leave a brief testimonial about you and your collaboration.
- A Photo of Yourself
- Add a photograph of yourself. Present them as a visual to add to your qualifications.
- Contact Information
- Include your contact information on your personal website.
- Have links to all your professional platforms.
- A Welcome Page
- Include your elevator pitch, making sure it is short and to the point.
If your interested in hiring a web designer to build you an online store please look no further Zeus.host and get hosting and web design services in one. Get an Online Store Build easily and professionally by Zeus.Host. Contact us for a quote.